Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Larynx Whisperer

Click here  to go to the blog that explains so well why I had so much anxiety about my little thyroid procedure! It also explains why my life vocally is going to get better since, thanks be to God,  I was fortunate enough to have a fantastic surgeon and anesthesiologist who both performed outstandingly! Well, in all honesty, my life in general in going to be better as I no longer have to concentrate at times to swallow; I have noticed I can take much more relaxed, deep breathes; and I no longer experience pain or pressure in my neck when I sneeze, yawn, or sing!

I am so lucky that Heidi has agreed to assist me with my post surgery vocal therapy! She was also my voice instructor at UNT, and I was fortunate enough to be able to keep in touch with her and remain friends post graduation. She is my favorite teacher ever! I do not think I would have been able to cross the undergraduate finish line without her. I am pretty sure that the soprano angels in heaven sound just like her.

Our first "therapy session" was just 5 days post right thyroid lobe removal. My surgeon said it will take 2 months for all the swelling to go away, and for the muscles to heal and regain full strength, and for my range and stamina to be what it was before the surgery. I am very encouraged by this because I really haven't lost any range. I don't feel like I am having to work so hard to get a good breath, and the tension in my neck has disappeared. I also feel like I have more space, and that I am not getting nearly as much of the pinched nasal sound that I just couldn't figure out what the hell else I could do to make it go away! I have enjoyed and looked forward to practicing this week for the first time since my junior year of college! I am going to have to work to break some bad habits that unbeknownst to me at the time were created  to compensate for the issues that my massive growth was causing by occupying space, and putting pressure on my esophagus and larynx. I am full of hope, and look forward to seeing what the next couple months bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment